Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Rant of the Week

I'm sure most of us have taken some sort of survey or test where you get the question asking you what race/ethnicity you are, and you check one of the boxes. What are those for? Why does it even really matter? What if you don't know how to answer that question?
Up until today I have always marked the "White/Caucasian" box, but what does that really mean? Sure my skin is white, but because I'm also Native American would I check that box too? I think I have a little Asian somewhere too, so should I check that box as well? Or maybe I should check other.
It's such an odd question.. And again why does it even matter? Are you just going to use that information to make snap judgements about me? Oh you're white, you have nice clothes, and you lives on the good side of town, so you are probably snooty and mean. Or.. Oh you're black, you live in the ghetto, and you listen to rap music, so you are bad news.
So what?
Did you know that most people know within 3 seconds whether or not they like or don't like some one. 3 seconds! That's insane. Then after you make that decision it takes 20 times for you to change your mind about that one person.
I hated this one girl last year for a while. I had never met her, never seen her, nothing, but I just didn't like her. Now? Now, we are inseparable; best friends for a year now.
I know I'm probably just going on this crazy, confusing rant right now, but this just kind of stick with me today.


I wonder what would happen if I just left that question blank? What do you think?
BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment